The step-by-step guide to defending against hacker intrusions!
* Defend against today's most powerful hacker attacks!
* Hands-on, step-by-step techniques for UNIX/Linux and Windows environments
* Intrusion detection: New evasion techniques—and countermeasures
* By the security expert who demonstrated hacking to the U.S. Senate!
This easy-to-use, step-by-step guide will empower network and system administrators to defend their information and computing assets—whether or not they have security experience. In Counter Hack, leading network security expert Edward Skoudis presents comprehensive, insider's explanations of today's most destructive hacker tools and tactics-and specific, proven countermeasures for both UNIX and Windows environments. Skoudis covers all this and more:
* Know your adversary: from script kiddies to elite attackers
* A hacker's view of networks, TCP/IP protocols, and their vulnerabilities
* Five phases of hacking: reconnaissance, scanning, gaining access, maintaining access, and preventing detection
* The most dangerous and widespread attack scenarios—explained in depth
* Key hacker tools: port scanners, firewall scanners, sniffers, session hijackers, RootKits, and more
* How hackers build elegant attacks from simple building blocks
* Detecting and preventing IP spoofing, covert channels, denial of service attacks, and other key attacks
* How hackers cover their tracks—and how you can uncover their handiwork
* A preview of tomorrow's hacker tools, attacks, and countermeasures
Whatever your role in protecting network infrastructure and data, Counter Hack delivers proven solutions you can implement right now—and long-term strategies that will improve security for years to come.